The elective office of the County Recorder was one of the first offices created by the Constitution of the State of Indiana in 1816. It is the primary duty of the County Recorder to review documents submitted for recording, making sure they meet the recording requirements and maintain those documents for perpetuity.
To allow staff time to balance accounts at the end of the day, all documents submitted for recording must be received prior to 3:30 p.m. Documents received after 3:30 p.m. will be recorded on the next business day.
The Recorder’s Staff will not search public records or give legal opinions. Public access computers are available onsite where documents may be viewed and copies printed for a fee.
Our records, dating back to 1990, are available online at DOXPOP.com to view and/or print for a fee.
The Morgan County Recorder’s Office partners with national electronic recording company Simplifile to offer electronic recording services for companies and banks that record land documents on a regular basis.
Assumed Business Name
Under Indiana Code 23-15-1-1, a Sole Proprietorship and General Partnership must file a Certificate of Assumed Business Name with the County Recorder in each County in which it has a place of business. For more information on starting a business, please contact the Indiana Secretary of State’s Office.
All paper recordings require appropriately sized Self Addressed Stamped Envelopes for return of documents.
General Recording Requirements
- All documents must be legible.
- All documents must include the printed name and signature of parties to the transaction, as is dictated by statute.
- All documents must also include the printed name and signature of one (1) witness.
- Said witness cannot be a party to the transaction.
- Said witness cannot receive an interest in or any proceeds from the property that is the subject of the transaction.
- All names must appear the same throughout the document.
- All names must be printed or typed beneath the corresponding signature.
- All signatures must be notarized. This includes that the witness’s signature be notarized.
- If notarized in the State of Indiana notary must include Signature, Printed Name, Jurat, Notary Seal, County of Residence, and Commission Expiration Date.
- If notarized out of State must include Jurat, Signature, Printed Name, Seal and Expiration Date.
- Documents notarized in the State of Indiana must contain the statement “Prepared by [printed name of person].”
- All Documents notarized in the State of Indiana must contain the following statement: “I affirm under the penalties for perjury that I have taken reasonable care to redact each Social Security number in this document unless required by law.” (Printed Name to Follow)
- If a document presented is a copy, it must be marked a “Copy” and meet recording requirements.
- Name of Company and Title of Officer must appear at signature line.
- If document signed by POA, must provide recorder POA reference at signature.
- POA must be recorded in Morgan County prior to use on document.
- If document being re-recorded must contain reference to original document and state the reason for re-recording on first page of document.
** NEW REQUIREMENTS AS OF JULY 1, 2020 IN BOLD
PLEASE DO NOT STAPLE CHECKS, LETTERS, ETC. TO DOCUMENTS BEING RECORDED
DOCUMENTS FROM 1990-PRESENT MAY BE VIEWED & PRINTED FROM:
RECORDER’S FEE SCHEDULE
MORTGAGES (including re-recorded)
DEEDS AND ALL OTHER DOCUMENTS
- (including re-recorded)
- (fee includes 1 oversize page)
MECHANICS LIENS (w/one 1st class mailing)
- Each additonal mailing
ADDITIONAL PAGES EXCEEDING 8.5×14 WITHIN ANY DOCUMENT
COPY OF RECORDER’S RECORDS
- Per page
- Copies larger than 11 x 17
CERTIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS
- Plus $1.00 per page for copies
UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE
As of 7-1-2001 all financing statements involving personal property are to be filed at the Indiana Secretary of State’s Office. Failure to file in the proper office may affect the perfection of the lien.
UCC FINANCING STATEMENTS, CONTINUATIONS, AMENDMENTS, ASSIGNMENTS 1-2 PAGES
3 OR MORE PAGES
SEARCH – ONE NAME
- Each additional name on search
ALL UCC DOCUMENTS MUST MEET RECORDING FORM AND LEGIBILITY STATUES