Applying for a Marriage License
To be married in the State of Indiana, a couple must have a marriage license. To apply for a marriage license in Indiana, both you and your future spouse must appear in person at the Clerk’s Office in an Indiana county where one of you resides, or for non-residents in the Indiana county where the marriage will be solemnized. A marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date it is issued, and couples may be married as early as the same day. Couples who do not marry within the 60 days must apply for a new license before marrying.
The Clerk can issue a marriage license if:
- Both applicants are 18 years of age or older;
- One or both applicants are 17 and parents or legal guardians are present to provide consent;
- One or both applicants are younger than 17 and have a court order granting permission to obtain a marriage license;
Exclusions. The Clerk cannot issue a marriage license if:
- Either applicant is under the influence of drugs or alcohol when applying;
- Applicants are more closely related than second cousins (though there is an exception if you are first cousins and both at least sixty-five (65) years of age).
- Either applicant has been judged to be of unsound mind, unless the adjudication has been removed.
See Indiana Code 31-11 for more information about state marriage laws.
Be sure to bring one of the following forms of identification:
- Current, valid drivers license or state-issued ID card
You will also be required to provide your Social Security Number, although your Social Security Card may not be required.
If you were previously married, you will need to provide the date your marriage ended. In addition, some counties require a certified copy of the divorce decree.
Requirements to Perform a Marriage
Indiana Code section 31-11-6-1 provides information on who may solemnize a marriage. Currently there is no one at the Courthouse who performs marriage ceremonies, however there are business cards on the bulletin board at the Courthouse with individuals that will.
Marriage License Cost
- The marriage license fee is $25.00 for Morgan County Residents
- For out of state residents the fee is $69.00
Once you get your Marriage Application you can get married anywhere in the state if you are a Morgan County resident, if you reside out of state you must get married in Morgan County.